women get social

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Volunteering your Time

You know what helps me stay connected to the outside world? Volunteering. I've had so many pleasant experiences and will remember all of the good people I've worked with these past few years. I also think it makes you feel good to "give back." You never really realize how blessed you are until you see others who do not have the things you do and who struggle everyday just to keep food on the table.
I think everyone needs that lesson. We all get too wrapped up in our lives to even notice others around ourselves.
 Even if I disability and a part time job, I think I will continue to volunteer. Of course I will be volunteering indoors. Right now the heat is so bad outside. I tried to volunteer when the 4/27 storms came through. But it was located outside and I couldn't handle that. I felt really bad about walking away from that. But I have heard that they have enough volunteers for that now and are looking for carpenters to help with the rebuilding.
So, the next time you have some free time on your hands, volunteer somewhere. Free time- whats that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment