women get social

Friday, July 15, 2011

Things I miss

You know it's so hard to watch TV now seeing all the yummy foods that are out there. There are a few things that I do miss eating because of my diabetes. Like ice cream, pasta, bread and chocolate.
I can remember that I used to get ice cream all the time. And oh a nice piece of apple pie would be soo good right now.
Of course they make no sugar added desserts, but these still have the fat and carb. counts in them. So you have to be very careful when you eat these selections.
Having diabetes doesn't mean that you have to completely give up on all desserts. You just have to create new ones if you still have a sweet tooth like I do. I inherited my sweet tooth from my Dad. My mother always tells me that "your father always wants something sweet."
So, what I do is freeze a banana, then put sugar free cool whip on top of it. Yogurt is another sweet thing you can eat. I've gotten used to eating sugar free pudding. Now, I can eat sweet things that are good for me.
Pasta is another weakness for me. Now if I want something like pasta, I'll eat white rice. You have to limit your intake of rice since it is a starch, but it has the consistency and the bulk feeling of pasta.
I've gotten used to eating alot of protein now, whereas before I would only on occasion eat meat.
Bread. I would love to toast bread then put lots of butter on it with jam. Ohhh that was so good. Now I have bread very sparingly maybe once or twice every two to three weeks. But no butter or jam now.
So, I guess the best rule of thumb for a diabetic is  eating in moderation. You eat smaller amounts of food. You can still feel satisfied.
But I do have to say that having diabetes is something to get used to. You have to stop having a relationship with your food. You have to find a new outlet of entertainment rather than eating all of your favorite foods.
That is if you want to be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment