women get social

Friday, October 28, 2011

A New Insight

Well I talked to my doctor yesterday and was told that I needed to go up on my insulin amount. My blood sugars have been high in the mornings. So I'm suppose to increase it 2 mgs. every four days until my blood sugars are below 150. Last night I injected the new amount and it went down from 177 in the evening to 160 this morning. This is the first time in a week that my blood sugar didn't increase higher than my bedtime blood sugar.
It's very simple to increase the amount on insulin. The injector is pre- filled with insulin. All you do is dial up the amount of insulin in mgs. that you want, attach a new needle to the injector, push a button and the insulin is injected into the stomach.
I used to be so scared of needles, but now I have gotten used to it. It only took about two years to get used to it. Sometimes it hurts to put the needle in my stomach, but most of the time it doesn't. I learned a trick. Instead of pushing the needle in quickly, I slowly push the needle in and I can barely feel it.
Occasionally I do hit a blood vessel which hurts. My stomach looks like a patchwork quilt sometimes. I get bruises where I inject.
Some people inject on their arms and legs, but I have found it hurts less in the stomach. If I think about it, pricking my fingers three times a day hurts more than injecting. I have places on my fingers that are tough because I have pricked there many times.
So all in all, injecting and pricking my fingers several times a day isn't that bad. You get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment