women get social

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Heat Exhaustion

You know, it is so hot right now. At 10am it's already 80 degrees. It's suppose to get up to 97 degrees today with a heat index of 100. Yesterday, I volunteered at the Salvation Army's warehouse for the storm relief project. I got so hot that I threw up.
I told the volunteer coordinator that due to health reasons I wouldn't be able to volunteer anymore while it is still hot. I have always had this condition where I don't sweat, except for the top of my head. So I get too hot too soon. Also, my Dad told me that it may effect my diabetes if I get too over heated.
I feel bad that I won't be able to help in the relief effort anymore, but I figure they have enough volunteers right now. I'm also limited to helping out at the wildlife center. I have to work indoors and not outside with the wildlife in the summer time. It gets to be a nuisance, but when this happens to me it's also hard to breathe.
I feel sorry for those that work outside year round. I have a friend that has his own lawn care service and he works early in the morning and then late in the afternoon.
Everyone just needs to make sure they hydrate themselves and be careful this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment