women get social

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What? Are they crazy?

I have a dear friend who is battling with kidney desease. She's been dialyzing for three years, on a special diet and is unable to go out in public due to germs. She's been on the transplant list for all three years.
Well yesterday she called and told me that she finally got a kidney available for her. But there's a hitch.
With her insurance and medicare she will have to come up with 20% of the cost. This 20% totals up to $500,000. This includes the surgery, hospital stay, tests, medications and doctors fees.
There is no way they can raise this. She also said that if they could raise the money, medicare will only pay for the first three years of seven medications she needs on a daily basis. And one of these medications,only one would be 2,000 a month.
She's just devestated. I feel so bad for her because I know how much she has sacrificed. She had to quit her job, quit getting her Ph.D and quit her livelihood. She has worked so hard in staying as healthly as she can. She has numerous blood tests each month and numerous doctors appointments.
She actually is hooked up to a machine daily. She's able to walk around while she is dialyzing everyday.
I just feel so helpless. There is nothing I can do or anyone. All I can do is be as supportive as I can and pray for her.
A situation like this really makes me feel grateful for my health and my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment