women get social

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

An outing

I met my close friends from Jasper, Al. today. I have blogged about them before. My friend and her husband have been such good friends in the past years. She's the one with a rare kidney disease. She has to dialize 6 x a day. She's also on a special meal plan, so eating out can be difficult to her. She's constantly battling with different bugs due to her immune system.
With all of her medical problems, she has been able to enjoy life. She was working on her PhD when she was diagnosed three years ago and had to give up her job. We met in the same department at UAB. The TASC department. Thats working with newly released defenders and placing them in programs sanctioned by the courts. She did all of the assessments and I worked in circuit court. I also managed the client"s successes or failures.
I loved the "action" in court. I was lucky to work with a very fair and nice judge. Judge Tommy Nail who is widely respected in the city. I was fortunate because I knew coworkers who were dealt with arrogent judges which made their jobs harder.
Anyway, I have been friends with my friend since that time. They live a veery modest life, growing their own vegetables, getting food from ministries and living off of what disability checks they have. These are the type of people that would give you the shirt off their backs.
Her husband in particular is hilarious. I remember one visit I had with them. We went to a restaurant in Jasper and there were raccoons on the walls. One of the raccoons had antlers. Well being a city girl, I was struck by this. Her husband said " well thats how they come in Jasper." For a second I believed him but then busted out laughing. He's always trying to amaze me.
When I'm down, I always say that my medical problems could be much worst like my friends and it help me to motivate myself to be happier.
I just love both of them dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment