women get social

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pickle

I walked into the wildlife center this morning and saw a large turtle eating a pickle. They were homemade pickles from another volunteer. Well wouldn't you know that turtle followed her around for more pickles.

My favorite fawn was nursing on his bottle when I went back there to clean his stall. After he fed, he walked up to me and licked my hand. His name is Henry. We've also got a lot of red tailed hawks and baby squirrels.

We also have a full grown deer that was hit by a car. He has a broken leg, but he's getting around ok.
I just love to volunteer there. The only bad thing is that each time I go there I have to pay for my own parking. This gets expensive, when the entrance fee to the park is $5.00. But that money goes back to the park, so I guess it will work.

I have been hand writing letters to friends that I don't see much. It's been kind of fun. It's always nice to get a letter from someone. I have a lot of friends that live out of town. It saves on long distance calls. These friends don't have access to the internet. It's hard to imagine that some people don't have a computer, but a lot don't. Computers and the internet cost money and money is hard to come by these days.

I found some Christmas cards on sale for 97 cents. I can't believe there are Christmas items on sale in October. But you know the department stores. Always trying to bring in more customers. Thank goodness I have been saving money each month and cleaning two women's homes for the past 4 months. I'll have enough money to shop for Christmas presents this year. Every little bit helps.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! I would LOVE to watch you volunteer sometime. I know Wy would love to see the animals too. I had NO idea that you have to pay for entrance into the park. I appreciate your attitude, and actually admire you for it, but I have to say that I think it is wrong. Do you have to pay for parking and entrance? That sure could get expensive.

    I'm really proud of you and love reading your BLOGS before I go to bed. Keep up the good work!

    R

    ReplyDelete