women get social

Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday

One of our volunteers died last week of a stroke. She was only 53/yrs. old. Thats one of the things that diabetics have to be careful of is a stroke. It is said, that diabetics are four times more likely to suffer from a stroke and heart attack. A few others are high blood pressure, high cholesteral and circulation problems. Thankfully I haven't had problems with my blood pressure, well not yet that is.
Diabetics toes and feet can turn blue, so once a year I get my feet examined. You have to make sure you're wearing proper shoes and socks.
I had cholesteral problems before being diagnosed, so I'm used to that.
One bad thing is that when diabetics catch a bug, it takes them usually twice as long to get over it.
So, my aim is to try to stay as healthy as I can.
I mange my blood sugars, eat well, exercise and try to get enough sleep. The sleeping is a mess sometimes, but I'm more likely to sleep now than I was before.
All in all, there's lots to learn about diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment