women get social

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday

I can't believe that it's July 1st. Boy this year has just flown by.
I went to my once a month diabetes meeting held for diabetics as a support system. I've been going to these meetings for about six months now and they really are beneficial. But I will tell you that theres one person in particular who is a walking time bomb. He's in his 30's. Weighs easily 400 to 450lbs. can barely walk with a cane. He has heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and kidney stones. The reason I know all of this is that he talks about all of his medical problems when he goes. Anyway, he's always walking in with a coke and potato chips. He doesn't have a chance. And yet he believes that going to these meetings, going to his doctor and taking his medicine is going to help him.
It's just kind of sad. We all look at him in amazement that he's still alive.
It makes me want to be a healthier person even more. Things could go down quick when you have diabetes. Even having diabetes causes your organs to work harder. You've got all of these cards stacked against you that it's important to exercise daily,eat smart and maintain a positive attitude. So going to these meetings has allowed me to get a reality check about my health. Of course there are those who have had part of their feet amputated. These are folks who usually have had bad maintained diabetes for years. So as long as I keep educating myself on the dangers of diabetes, I become a healthier person.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Allison! You are really growing as a person and I'm very proud of everything you have accomplished. Keep up the good work. Maybe this young man will figure out that he's killing himself before it's too late. Let's hope so!

    The Rock

    ReplyDelete