women get social

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Peddler

After I volunteered this morning, I was driving home and I saw on the side of the road a man holding up a sign saying "will work for food." I've seen this before, but each time I do I feel so sorry for these people. I guess the average person would say that they just need to get a job. Jobs are scarce these days and most of those folks live on the streets.
Each month I try to donate money to three organizations that cater to the homeless. I think it's our responsibility to try to educate and house these individuals who don't have the means to help themselves.
Now granted, I know there are some that just "play" the system, but the majority of them have always not had a home or anyone to rely on.
When I worked for UAB, this was one of my main functions. Of course I had other responsibilities, working in the court system and case managing terminally ill patients. But I always would arrange housing or treatment for those who needed my help. Since I did that for a living, I guess it's just hard to get that need taken out of my routine.
I used to hear from associates, "if I could just help one." It's kind of like a teacher reaching that one child.
I know of success stories of folks that were able to turn their lives around because of the helping hands from others. So, all that work made it worth it in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment