women get social

Friday, February 25, 2011

Credit reports

You know I was so lucky to have parents that taught me at an early age how important having good credit is. I was taught to always pay my bills on time, never live beyond my means and never borrow money. Getting a loan may sound good, but by the time you pay the interest, you're paying out more than you borrowed.
My friend that I blogged about a few days ago, ended up not being approved for the apartment. She has always spent more than she makes, charged on credit cards and borrowed money. Unfortunatley she's in a financial hole that is going to take some time to recover.
Whats interesting about this, is that she asked me to loan her some money or to be a co-signer for her apartment. She looked into my private mail that happened to contain securities I have had for my retirement.
I was so surprised. I quess you never know how people can behave when money is involved. I discussed this with another friend of mine and realized that this is not acceptable. I even bought her a microwave to help her. All she said was that she needed it and didn't really thank me. When we were looking at the microwaves she pointed out one that was over 120.00 and said she wanted that one. I bought her one for 40.00. Then she called a friend of hers when we got back to my house and asked her other friend to buy her a new plasma TV. Whats funny about these requests is that both I and her other friend are not working. I quess she's been used to people taking care of her all of her life.
I try to remain supportive, but sometimes it's not enough for certain people, they always want more. And whats also funny is that I usually wouldn't hear from her but once every few weeks, now I've talked to her almost every day. It makes me reflect to my circumstances. I have always been single, dating now and then, but not hopping into marriages just for financial support. I've worked hard for the few things I have. I don't take for granted my family and friends. And I don't use my medical problems as excuses to get more attention. Unfortunately, my friend does do all of those things. As my mom suggested, i might need to start backing away for that friendship. Be supportive to her,but be guarded.
Lesson learned...

No comments:

Post a Comment