women get social

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Diabetes

I swear, those of you who don't have diabetes wouldn't understand how much of a pain it is sometimes. I don't mean to complain, but sometimes it just sucks. An example is this. I went to the store and got a new brand of crystal light. This powdered drink is usually sugar free. So I bought some. It is a green tea that has peaches and melon flavor in it. So I drank like three glasses of it last night and my blood sugar reading this morning was 166. I have high sugar levels sometimes so I didn't really think about it.
I keep drinking it all day today. Dad called and asked why it was so high this morning. [ I call him each morning with my levels ]
Anyway, I then looked on the bottle and sure enough it has 40 calaries per 8oz with 5 grams of sugar. I have drunk at least 1/2 of gallon of this stuff all day so now I'm sure my levels are gonna be high tomorrow morning.
Even low fat yogurt has 80 cal. with 2 grams of sugar. Cottage cheese [1/2 cup ] has100 cal. and 3 grams of sugar. These are two "powerfuels" that I eat everyday.
To have a healthy maintenance of your blood sugar, you have to literally watch everything you put in your mouth. Sometimes it's easy, but other times it's a drag. And it's really hard when I go out to eat to make smart choices.
I've been diagnosed since November of 2009. I keep learning everyday about how to eat and what to eat. I just wish I could take a vacation sometime from eating the right things all the time. But I do have to say that I like to go to the doctor when I know I have controlled my blood sugar levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment