women get social

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Who's Mildred?

For the past week, I have had this woman call me and ask to speak to Mildred. I think she's an elderly lady. Well, today she called again. After I said that she had the wrong number, she said "Mildred is the best friend I ever had."  She continued to talk about how long she's known Mildred, talked about Mildred's nice family and she's a great card player.
I sat patiently as I have for a week and listened. Then I asked this woman what Mildred's last name was and told her that she could call the operator and get Mildred's number. The older woman thanked me and said that it has been nice talking with me. As I hung up, I realized that maybe this woman just needed someone to talk to.
Hopefully she will get Mildred's number, otherwise I might have a new "phone friend." People are funny.
I haven't  gotten anymore leeds for jobs this week. I went back today and called all of the companies back that I never heard from after I filled out applications . One even said that they didn't have my application anymore and asked if I would come back down today to fill out another one. I thought to myself that they probably threw it away, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and filled another one out.
Of course, there were some that said that they had already filled the position. But, there were others that said they  were still accepting applications. So, it's slow going.
I have a friend whose daughter graduated from college one year ago and she's still looking for a job. I think I'll do some cold calling to see if I get any hits. Otherwise, it's back to "shopping" online.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh I hope your new "phone friend" finds her Mildred! Sweet story.

    ReplyDelete